Dwarf Fountain Grass, Pennisetum alopecuroides 'Hameln' looks like a spray of thick, dark green foliage sprouting gracefully from the ground. Compact and round, the stems elegantly arch on all sides giving this variety its 'fountain look.' Fuzzy flower heads form above the spray in summer, and look like charming, wheat colored, bottle brushes. Growing up to 2' tall, a single or group of plants will make a nice accent in small beds and rock gardens. For bigger areas, plant Dwarf Fountain Grass in mass where it will add structure and beauty to the landscape in every season.
Petite ornamental grass forms miniature fountain of green
- Hameln is a shorter, more compact variety of fountain grass
- Thick, dark green foliage sprouts gracefully from the ground
- The stems elegantly arch on all sides giving this variety its 'fountain look'
Fuzzy foxtail flower heads bloom in summer
Charming bottlebrush-shaped light tan blooms form above the spray, decorating this grass in the summer. Hameln blooms two weeks earlier than the species. The bloom color changes to pinkish brown in the fall, with the leaves becoming bright golden yellow to bronze. The flower spikes last until early winter when the foliage turns light beige. Its genus name comes from the Latin penna meaning feather and seta for bristle.
Accent plant for small spaces or mass plantings for landscaping
- Grows up to 2 feet tall and only 12 to 18 inches wide
- Accent plant perfect for small gardens or rock gardens
- Mass plantings make an impact across your landscape, adding structure and beauty in every season
Easy to grow, little care needed
- Loves full sun, tolerates some light shade
- Grows well in medium to wet soils but is drought tolerant
- Deer resistant but attracts butterflies
- Resists insects and disease problems
- Not afraid of the cold but can take the heat – hardy in zones 4 to 9